The Bridge Alexandre III (Pont Alexandre III) is one of the most beautiful bridges in Paris. The first stone was laid in 1896 by the Russian tsar Nicholas II; however, the constructions started in 1897. The bridge is a symbol of Franco Russian friendship and was named after Tsar Alexandre III. It crosses the Seine and connects the Champs Elysees quarter on the right bank to the Hotel des Invalides on the left bank. The bridge is 40 meters wide, 160 meters long and 6 meters high. On each end of the bridge are large gilded statues. The bridge is decorated with sculptures of nymphs and cherubs and beautiful lampposts.